Athletics is an ideal club to help children develop their sporting range and core skill base. Unlike many other clubs, an athlete club can work with children from nursery up to year 6, slowly broadening the children’s skill base as they progress up the school. Our specialist Icanwin coaches strive to develop a friendly and competitive athletics club focusing on the most-well known athletic events.
Over the course of a term, the children will learn a variety of track and field events, predominately focusing on one key event each week.Within each session, children build their skills and knowledge through a series of different activities, drills and games. Then, by the end of the term, the coaches will bring all elements together creating a mini athletics tournament which will allow the children to show-case their new found talents. These end of term events can also link to whole school sports days or as a form of intra-school competition.
Athletics clubs are able to run indoors or outdoors using a basic selection of equipment. Additionally, Icanwin is able to provide equipment is to purchase or hire (see purchase/hire equipment page for more details).
Over a term, sessions are based on the following skills/sports:
- Sprinting and relay
- Long distance running and cross country races
- Throwing (foam javelins and shot putt)
- Long jump
- High jump
Top tips for Top Sprinters:
- Use a running start, making sure your most dominate leg is bent forwards, enabling you to push off at speed.
- Stand as tall as you can while sprinting, isolating your body so that it can focus on pushing your legs forwards.
- Make sure you can see the finish line before you start – pushing yourself to the finish line will be easier if you can see it.
- Eat 2 hours before a race, allowing your body time to digest.
- Before you reach the end, lean your chest forward because the timer stops the clock as soon as your chest crosses it.
7 reasons why your child should stay active with ICanWin Sports
- 01.Healthy body Regular physical activity helps build and maintain strong, healthy muscles, bones and joints along with helping kids achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
- 02.Better Academic and social skills Research shows that exercise promotes improved school attendance and enhances academic performance also aids in the development of important interpersonal skills.
- 03.Healthy Mind Exercise helps improve motor coordination and enhances the development of various motor performance skills.
- 04.Disease prevention Participating in regular physical activity prevents or delays the development of many chronic diseases and promotes health.
- 05.Better sleep Exersice improves the quantity and quality of sleep.
- 06.Happier children Kids who exercise have greater self-esteem and better self-image. Children who are active report fewer symptoms of anxiety and depression and a better overall mood.
- 07.Fun, Fun, Fun Ikanwin staff work very hard to ensure that kids are learning and having the best time possiable. Staying active is important and should be as much fun as possiable