Basketball is the fastest growing sport in the UK currently with more than 300,000 people picking up a ball each month, making this a great time to add it to the list of clubs you currently offer. Learn this fast-paced and fun team sport in inspiring coaching sessions which will teach your child all the basics to excel from the grass root level to the professional game just like our head Basketball coach Joe Ikhimwin did!
Playing basketball helps children learn basic co-ordination, team-building skills with an added bonus of making new friends along the way. Getting your children going with basic basketball skills at a young age not only helps to encourage exercise, but serves as a foundation for staying active later in life. Children will learn dexterity and agility with the ball in a stimulating environment, while getting to grips with the rules of the game. Additionally, there are many great pathways to future success in basketball. Children can represent their school, club, association, county or country and can aspire to play in the British basketball league or overseas in the NBA.
Learn From a Pro
Joe Ikhinmwin born and bred British basketball star, and captain of the London Lions, the only professional team in London, is an excellent role model and a confident public speaker. As a British athlete who has grown up in London, Joe has personally experienced the highs and lows of sports with confined areas. His strong family links make him a caring and approachable athlete; perfect for working with children. Our Learn from a Pro program, gives your school the chance to be coached by Joe and his hand selected coaches, delivering the highest level of coaching in London.
What we Offer!
Real education in basketball - Learn about the history of how the game started.
Free equipment - To inspire children to continue participating out side of club hours.
Teaching the Game - we teach from the basic rules to the techniques you need to be a professional
Tickets to London Lions Games - Get the opportunity for HUGE discounts on London Lions basketball games tickets. A fun time for all the family!
Professional Photo shoot - Every term professional photographers from come into sessions to capture the children in action and you will get the chance to get your choice of pictures.
Excellent drills that will help you to develop your ball handling skills:
Tip the ball back and forth from one hand to the next. Start with the ball above your head and then gradually move the ball down continually tipping it back and forth. Try going down to ankles and then back above your head.
With your feet together, make circles around both of your legs. Attempt to keep the ball on your finger tips and move it in circles around your body from your legs right up to your head.
- Figure of 8
With your legs shoulder width apart, move the ball in a figure of 8 in and out of your legs. Keep the ball on your finger tips and try moving in the reverse direction.
- Circle dribbles
Using only one hand, dribble circles around one foot. Complete 10 in one direction, then switch directions. Repeat using a different hand, before swapping legs.
- Power Dribble
Complete 50 power dribbles with your right hand, holding your left out in defense. Move the ball lower and higher to the ground as you count your fifty. Then switch to the left.
5 Reasons to Play Basketball with ICanWin Sports
- 01.Pro Staff Icanwin can provide the highest level of basketball coaches around, with current professional players dedicating their time to helping your child reach their highest potential.
- 02.Be a good team player Basketball is all about working together to achieve a common goal. Everyone on the team has to learn to work together to get the win. It is not always being the star player, but being able to work in perfect harmony and coordination with your teammates.
- 03.New Friends Basketball brings people together and creates bonds and friendships. It helps people meet new acquaintances and learn to socialize. Social skills are something we carry in all areas of our life.
- 04.Confidence Boost Basketball truly improves anyone’s confidence. Whether you are making good shots or just being a part of a good team can increase your self-esteem and help gain more confidence. A confident person has more faith in his or her skills and can face life with a better disposition.
- 05.Healthy body Basketball is a great and fun workout. Almost all the limbs in our body are used and moved during the game. Basketball really works the heart and lungs.